Juanita Canahuate Camacho Managing Partner
Ms. Canahuate received her Bachelor of Law, Summa Cum Laude, from APEC University in Santo Domingo, and is admitted to the Bar Association of the Dominican Republic.
Ms. Canahuate obtained a Master in Private Law at the Panthéon-Assas University, Paris II (Mention Bien). As a Fulbright scholar, Ms. Canahuate completed a LL.M. in Tax Law at Georgetown University (With Distinction). She also obtained a Master in Private Law and a Doctorate in Law (PhD) at the Panthéon-Assas University, Paris II (Mention très honorable avec les félitations du jury).
In 2008, she was admitted to the Bar of Paris, being authorized to practice law in France. Prior to her return to the Dominican Republic, she worked in France as Deputy Counsel of the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (CCI) and as an In-House Counsel to a French pharmaceutical company. In the Dominican Republic, she has worked at two of the largest law firms in the country. She has published several articles in various legal journals in the country and Latin America.
With a general education and experience in business and litigation, in recent years Ms. Canahuate has specialized her practice in different topics related to tax law: appeals before tax administration and the courts, assistance in relation to the recognition of exemptions before different institutions, legal assistance in the structuring and execution of projects, among others.
- Representation of several hotel chains in relation to the tax exemption management process before the Tourist Promotion Council (CONFOTUR).
- Representation of several companies before the General Agency of Customs (DGA), and specifically in relation to the preferential duties established in international treaties.
- Representation of several companies, including free trade zones, before the General Agency of Internal Taxes (DGII).
- Representation of multinational and local companies before the Ministry of Treasury (MH) in relation to the recognition of exemptions.
- Representation of several companies in tax disputes before the Superior Administrative Court (TSA) and the Supreme Court of Justice (SCJ).
- Advisory in arbitration procedures in relation to contractual provisions related to financial and tax matters.
Ms. Canahuate has been a speaker in different seminars, including:
- 2016 Arbitration Santo Domingo, “Vienna Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG) and International Arbitration”.
- Degree on “Arbitration and Judiciary: Towards a culture of responsible cooperation”, National School of the Judiciary (ENJ) and Center of Alternative Dispute Resolution of the Chamber of Commerce and Production of Santo Domingo (CCPSD).
- Professor of the course “Conflicts of Jurisdiction” in the LL.M. of Paris II University and APEC University.
Spanish, french and English
- “Free Trade Zones and Tax Administration: considerations on legal certainty”. AMCHAMDR Review. May-June 2017.
- “The trust in the Dominican Republic”. International Law and Social Sciences Review, UDEM, Ed. Tirant Lo Blanch, 2017.
- “The Dominican courts and arbitrations clauses”. Gaceta Judicial Review No. 360. February 2017.
- “Dispute resolutions in the construction field”. AMCHAMDR Review. November-December 2016.
- “Recommendations to control costs and time in arbitration”. Gaceta Judicial Review No. 356. September, 2016.
- “Application of the Unidroit Principles in arbitration procedures before the International Chamber of Commerce”. Gaceta Judicial Review No. 355. August, 2016.